The handouts, in Croatian and English, for the Narrative Discipleship lesson on Covenant that I taught at Kristova Crkva Kušlanova on 18 March 2018.
This lesson describes ancient Near Eastern covenants, and how this background illuminates God’s promises to Abraham in Genesis 12.
Handout: 5. Savez, pt 1
Handout: 5. Covenant, pt 1
Part 1 of the Narrative Discipleship lesson on Covenant (Savez): “God the Redeemer”.
I taught this at Kristova Crkva Kušlanova in Zagreb on 18 March 2018.
In our review of the second part of the story–Corruption, the effects of the fall–I pointed out how God acts as redeemer from the minute sin and destruction enter the picture. God is ALWAYS acting to save sinners, and to make good things happen in the midst of the wreckage we leave behind.
Part 2: “What is a covenant?” How did ancient Near-Eastern covenants work?
Part 3: “Abraham’s Covenant and Ours”.
Why should you care how ancient Near-Eastern covenants worked? (How Abraham’s covenant with God helps us understand our covenant with God.)
Here are the materials for the Narrative Discipleship class I taught on 4 March 2018 at Kristova crkva Kušlanova in Zagreb, Croatia. The materials are in Croatian and English. There were no new handouts this week; we finished the material from last week.
1.Intro and review
2. Discussion of what Satan is like, and the nature of sin.
3. Discussion of the far-reaching consequences of Adam and Eve’s sin, focusing on shame.
The discussion of shame’s legitimacy got a little side-tracked; we had several definitions of shame operating, and didn’t separate them out. I will follow up in a future lesson, because I think there are a couple of additional things to say that will frame why I say that shame is illegitimate for Christians.
4. In the aftermath of Adam & Eve’s sin, the consequences and corruption spread, violence proliferates, things keep getting worse (Genesis 4, 5, 6), until “the inclination of their minds was only evil, all the time” (6.5) and God expresses regret at having ever created humanity (a standard ANE story).
But in the midst of the trouble, we see a new facet of God’s character, as he becomes his creation’s redeemer.
I’ve made videos of lectures (audio or audio & video combined) with Powerpoint presentations three different ways.
Which of the three options looks best to you? (Koja vam od ove 3 mogućnosti djeluje najbolja?)
1.Powerpoint slides with audio voiceover only?
2.Powerpoint slides with iMovie picture-in-picture?
3.Zoom screen recording of Powerpoint presenter mode with Zoom picture-in-picture?
Here are the handouts in Croatian and English that go with the Narrative Discipleship videos for week 4.
4. CORRUPTION, “WHAT_S THE PROBLEM”
4. SLOM, “Što nije u redu”
This is the lesson from NARRATIVE DISCIPLESHIP that I taught at Kristova Crkva Kušlanova on 25 February.
- Genesis 1 answers the Big Question, “Who is God? What is he like?”
- Genesis 2: “Who are WE? What does it mean to be human?”
- Genesis 1 & 2 together: “WHERE are we? How should we understand the world around us?”
- We began by finishing the material from Genesis 2; Who Are We? (What does the Bible say about what it means to be human?)
Read More »
Here are the materials for the Narrative Discipleship class I taught on 18 February 2018 at Kristova crkva Kušlanova in Zagreb, Croatia. The materials are in Croatian and English. The videos follow the handouts.
Read More »